Why a Mission?

It amazes me how I can look back on my 20 years of life and pinpoint exact instances where Heavenly Father was preparing me to serve a mission. Up until December 2016, I was stubbornly and even more so pridefully convincing myself that a mission was basically just a prison sentence in my case. I could not give up my power to choose where I would serve, I would go crazy under such strict rules and authority with my minor authority complex, and I am so bad at remembering the scriptural knowledge that I would just be an embarrassment out there.

Funny how life works, right?

Back in France, I made friends with the Soeurs in my ward and marveled at their service and abilities as a missionary. I told myself that I would only serve if I could do it in the Paris mission! Well, I was not seriously considering service at that point. It was just a far-off idea.

Then I got to BYU and finally started school. I took an early morning custodial job where my co-workers talked all about their missions and how amazing they were. The idea was beginning to set in, I just didn't want to admit it. Finally December rolls around and I go on this group date to the ice skating arena. Just as we were beginning to think about leaving, I race out onto the ice and smack my head. Concussion. What a great two weeks that followed. With so many health problems and now a concussion to worry about, I was just getting beat up by life. I really pitied myself and was angry at God for letting bad things happen to me. All I can say now is THANK YOU for that concussion.

With a black sheet over my window and me locked inside of my room, I found solace in the scriptures. I read, and read, and read, and I loved it. When I came up to Alma 15ish, I started reading about Alma and Amulek. They were such amazing missionaries of the Lord and were so selfless that I found myself wanting to be like them. I didn't want to pity myself and feel sorry for the trials- I wanted to be courageous, brave, and a blessing to others. Then it hit me: I need to devote a selfless 18 months to the Lord so that I can become more like Alma and Amulek. Then I started reading about the sons of Mosiah and I was even more convinced that I needed to serve a mission.

In my Book of Mormon class, we were assigned a Keystone Project of which we got to choose the topic as we read and studied the Book of Mormon. Mine was on Weaknesses Becoming Strengths. How fitting as I struggle to learn and prepare to teach others IN KOREAN about this amazing gospel.

With that all said and done, I went to the temple, prayed, and read more of my scriptures which led me to this crazy, awesome decision. I am more excited than ever and I am realizing more and more how divine MY calling is. It's a humid country with green trees, it's a crazy awesome challenge to learn Korean, I'm not attracted to Asian men so no distractions there (!), and it is so easy to eat gluten free in Korea. This place is meant for me!



Comments

  1. I am in awe of you and your determination to do the Lord's will at all times. You are a great example to me and those around you. Your Mama taught you well. My love and prayers go with you. Sis evenson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of you and your determination to do the Lord's will at all times. You are a great example to me and those around you. Your Mama taught you well. My love and prayers go with you. Sis evenson

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have many talents, lots of determination, and a great spirit that will serve you well on a mission. Missions are challenging but so rewarding to teach and feel the Spirit, to feel that Christ is by your side, and to know that you are His representa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a representative of Christ is so humbling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts